– the Island of Mljet
Last year, the inhabitants of the village Korita have started the initiative and addressed the appeal to the Council of the Municipality to save the old substance of the village. This place was abandoned by the younger population who searched their future in building the appartments along the coast of the Island of Mljet. Due to these facts, we have started to implement this project in order to restore the mill in the village Korita and put it in function of processing the olives into well-known olive-oil from the Island of Mljet. At the restored mill building we shall revive some of old traditional customs from this willage and it will advance the tourist offer in underdevelopped parts of the Island of Mljet. We should stimulate and motivate the local population to valorize the cultural and historical heritage, to produce and offer forgotten autochthonous products.
The aims of the project:
- to restore the mill and put it into function of processing olives into well-known olive oil from the Island of Mljet,
- revive the old tradtional customs of the village,
- stimulate and motivate the local population to valorize cultural and historical heritage of the Island of Mljet.
The expected results are in a close connection with the aims of the project:
- the awareness of our values as a foundations of our identity and culture,
- by renovation of this old mansion we shall enrich the tourist offer of the Island of Mljet,
- by renovation of the mill we shall revive the village Korita. Besides this mill, Korita has several more historic buildings ( famous Toreta, The Kazilari palace, the Skapic House etc.) which could be renovated and valorized in tourist purposes,
- to stimulate the senior population to pass over their know-how onto younger population,
- the village Korita that was not developped in tourist business by renovation of the mill gains the authentic premises for various workshops of old and forgotten crafts,
- by the means of organized marketing it is possible to prolonge the tourist season with more richer and meaningfull offer „Visiting mill, tasting the oil and home made bread in October and November“.
The realization of this project has been supported by donors:
- The Ministry of the Sea, Tourism, Traffic and Development – 40.000,00 kn
- Zagrebacka Banka – 30.000,00 kn
- Tondach Croatia – donation of the roof tiles and transportation costs to village Korita
- The Municipality of Mljet (promissed for project realisation) – 40.000,00 kn