- On the Christmas Banquet organized by the City of Dubrovnik, on December 19th. 2014, the city of Dubrovnik for the first time granted the award Vlaho Brangjolica for the volunteer of the year. On the proposal of the Council of Civil Society of the City of Dubrovnik led by Jany Hansal, the award was given to Vesna Pejović, for voluntary engagement in three associations – DEŠA, the Association of Muscular Dystrophy, Cerebral Palsy and other physically disabled persons in Dubrovnik Neretva County, and the association Dubrovačka naranča.
- As a part of the project “Evaluation of previous assistance provided through the IPA HRD OP”, implemented by Ecorys International BV, with one of the main partners The Ministry of Labour and Pension System of the Republic of Croatia, Department for programming, monitoring and evaluation of programs and projects of the EU, the representative of Ecorys for Croatia Mrs. Daniela Ivanova visited DESA on December 12th. In cooperation with the Ministry of Labour and Pension System, Ecorys selected two DESA’s projects MOTS AND NONA for post-evaluation process. Through a two-hour conversation with DESA’s staff, Ms. Ivanova has concluded that both DESA’s projects can serve as examples of good practice.
- Within the project ‘Identification and commercialization of traditional products in Dubrovnik-Neretva County’ ‘, which has been implemented by DUNEA- Regional Development Agency of Dubrovnik-Neretva county, DESA-Dubrovnik organized a workshop on preparing traditional products: arancini, almonds coated in sugar and mantala. Workshop was intended for potential producers of these products who want to produce it by the established technology, sell it on the market and compete for getting tags: Quality Dubrovnik Neretva Rural. DESA’s workshop was held in Opuzen, on December 10th.
- DESA – Dubrovnik organized yet another successful creative workshop on embroidery, which was held from November 13th to December 11th, at DESA’s premises. The workshop included a variety of techniques and types of embroideries characteristic for Dubrovnik region. The first week of the workshop, participants learned the basics of embroidery from Dubrovnik Primorje and its application to usable items. The workshop was run by Ms Marija Veltruski. In the second week of the workshop, participants learned the basics of embroidery from Konavle region and their teacher was Ms. Stane Vlašić. During the third week of workshops, participants learned the basics of the embroidery from the Island of Mljet, and Ms Ljiljana Maričić was the teacher. Seven participants regularly attended and successfully completed this workshop. DEŠA organizes workshops on embroidery on regular basis, and each participant who completed the workshop, becomes a pledge of preserving and continuation of our traditional heritage.
- DEŠA’s representative participated in the presentation of measures to stimulate the youth employment, with emphasis on the introduction and implementation of the Guarantees for the youth. The presentation was held on December 5th in Dubrovnik, and was organized by the Chamber of Commerce – County Chamber of Dubrovnik and the Ministry of Labor and Pension System.
- On invitation of the Association The Wine Trails of Pelješac, Deša – Dubrovnik held a workshop on preparing traditional products: arancini, almonds mjenduli, mantala and hroštule. The workshop was held on December 3rd in Trpanj and many potential producers from the Pelješac peninsula attended.
- DESA – Dubrovnik organized another successful creative workshop on drawing and painting, which was held from October 10th to November 25th 2014, at DESA’s premises. Head of the art workshop was academic painter Magdalena Kramarić. The workshop embraced a variety of drawing techniques, showing the volume on the surface, painting techniques, coloristic painting and other techniques. The exhibition of participant’s works was organized at DESA’s premises which can be seen every working day from 08:00 to 20:00. Like all other DESA’s creative workshops, workshops on drawing and painting always arouses great interest of our citizens and urges us to organize it on regular basis.
During September, October and November the association MI from Split, together with DEŠA-Dubrovnik, organized three workshops in Dubrovnik, as a part of STEP programme (The regional development of civil society and local communities). These workshops related to Training on how to strengthen the capacities of civil society associations of Dubrovnik – Neretva County.
The first module was held on September 24th-25th during which they dealt with the topics: Introduction to CSOs, Funding opportunities for CSOs and Development of project proposal and Budgeting Project.
During the second module, which was held on October 22nd-23rd were presented the following topics: Project Management, Media Relations, Social Entrepreneurship and Volunteering.
The third module was held on November 13th and included: Registration in PADOR system / PIC for participation in EU projects, databases, use of new technologies and free software in the implementation of projects and visibility, the Internet and social networks.
In addition to the theoretical part, the participants had the opportunity to check their knowledge through exercises in small groups. The workshops were attended by 16 representatives of different non-profit organizations.
Constituent Assembly of the 1st Cluster of women entrepreneurs Croatia “KOLO” – how to strengthen the local environment “Association for the contribution of women to the development of rural areas” was held on November 11th 2014 in the town of Sinj at the premises of Alka’s house. Cluster’s Headquarters are in the city of Sinj at the address Luka 7.
Women entrepreneurs from Vukovar-Srijem County, Osijek-Baranja County, Lika-Senj County, Dubrovnik-Neretva County, Zagreb County, Split-Dalmatia and Istria County participated in the general meeting.There were also presented products made by these women: prosciutto,Cheese from Lika – škripavac, arancini, jam made of bitter oranges, homemade sausages, liqueurs, donuts from Sinj, Soparnik from Poljica, the shoes made of “husks”, handbags, handicrafts from the Cetina and Lika territory. more info
- DESA – Dubrovnik participated in the workshop “New Dubrovnik souvenir – a draft for the project task”, organized by development agency DURA and Croatian Design Superstore. The workshop was held on November 5th within the “Days of cultural / creative industries Dubrovnik”.
The round table was held in the framework of the project “Promoting the employability of young people on geographically isolated / remote islands,” co-financed by the European Union through the Operational Programme Human Resources Development Scheme grant “Support programs of civil society organizations in the field of advocacy and motivation for socially excluded groups “.
To the key stakeholders were presented project activities and premiere screening of the films produced by the project activity: Okrugli stol – promocija zaposljivosti – DESA (3)advocacy campaign – young for young, “Message in a Bottle” (all 25 short videos can be viewed on the FB group “Promoting the employability of young people on geographically remote / isolated islands”). more info
The first Dubrovnik Good Food Festival, organized by the City of Dubrovnik and Dubrovnik Tourist Board, was held from October 23rd to 26th. As part of the Festival, DESA organized workshops of local delicacies: 23.10. – Workshop on making almonds coated in sugar; 24. 10. – Workshop on making arancini; 25.10.- workshop on making orange jam and on 26.10. Workshop on making quince cheese and mantala.
DESA’s workshop aroused a lot of interest among local people and also foreign tourists, who enthusiastically participated in making these homemade delicacies.
Within the project ‘Identification and commercialization of traditional products in Dubrovnik-Neretva County’ ‘, which has been implemented by DUNEA- Regional Development Agency of Dubrovnik-Neretva county, DESA-Dubrovnik organized a workshop on preparing traditional products: arancini, almonds coated in sugar and mantala. Workshops were intended for potential producers of these products who want to produce it by the established technology, sell on the market and compete for getting tags: Quality Dubrovnik Neretva Rural. DESA workshops were held in Čilipi on October 18th, in Lumbarda on October 25th and on October 25th in Ston too.
- Within the programme STEP, DESA – Dubrovnik organized a second series of workshops “Little School for associations” for the Dubrovnik-Neretva County region. Workshops were held on November 22nd and 23rd,and were attended by 13 representatives of organizations from DNC. Speakers at the workshops were Nives Ivelja and Dana Jurman Jakus from the Association “MI”. The following topics were processed at the workshops: Project management (reporting, monitoring, evaluation), Introduction to Social Entrepreneurship, Volunteering and Media Relations for CSO.
As a part of the project „ Promotion of employment of young population on distant and isolated islands“, representatives of DEŠA, SVIMA and UZOR Rava, as well as a representative of the Mljet Island Community and City of Vis, went on study trip to Stockholm, Sweden. The purpose of this trip was to strengthen associations dealing with young people on the islands.
On Thursday, 16th October, 2014 Croatian delegation met with president of ESIN Mr. Bengt Amkvist, vice president Christian Pleijel and Irish youth representative Ms. Marian O’ Malley. ESIN is one of the top European networks to advocate for problems of geographically isolated and distant island. It was founded in 2001, as a network of national islands’ organizations in order to raise awareness of development challenge faced by small European inhabited islands. more info
- DESA – Dubrovnik organized a practical workshop on making traditional products – arancini and almonds coated in sugar on October 18th at 04:00 p.m.at Čilipi. The workshop was organized in collaboration with the Regional Development Agency DUNEA and Dubrovnik-Neretva County. Workshop participants are potential producers of these products, and they want to produce them by the established technology and compete to obtain label Quality Dubrovnik Neretva Rural.
- DESA – Dubrovnik participated in the workshop Croatian Rural Development at the threshold of the first programming development in the EU, which was held on October 17th in Split. The workshop was organized by the Croatian Network for Rural Development in order to exchange experiences and good practices from the rural area of coastal Croatian. In the introductory part, president of DESA, Ms Jany Hansal gave a presentation on DESA’s experiences in promoting rural development.
- On the occasion of the World Day of Rural Women on October 15th, Commission for Gender Equality of Dubrovnik – Neretva county, which member is DESA, organized representation of rural women who produce traditional foods.on their family farms in our county.
- Data collection ended as a part of an on-line survey on employability and quality of life of young people on Dalmatian islands, within the project “Promoting the employability of young people on the geographically isolated / remote islands”. Data processing follows and it will surely bring a number of important results on the quality of life of youth on our islands. Follow our site where we will soon publish the information provided. Thanks to everyone who participated! more info
- DESA-Dubrovnik participated in a seventh economic-fair manifestation “Herzegovinian fruits of the Mediterranean” held from October 10th to 11th in Stolac.
Since September 26th to September 29thth, the 8th Croatian Festival of jams and marmalades was held on Stradun, in front of St. Blaise’s church. Over 30 small producers from all over the Croatia and abroad, exhibited more than a hundred kinds of jams and marmalades – made of oranges, figs, plums, lemons, cherries, strawberries and other kinds of fruit in all possible combinations. Festival of jams and marmalades, which traditionally, for the eighth year in a row, enrich the tourist offer of the city of Dubrovnik, DEŠA organized in cooperation with the association Dubrovnik orange and with the Chamber of Commerce – County Chamber of Dubrovnik.
The festival started on September 26th, at the premises of DEŠA – Dubrovnik, where was held a professional evaluation of the products. The jury consisted of: Iva Mračić MSc. ing food technology, Ana Carević, BSc. Ing., representative of the Department of olives and Mediterranean culture, Sanda Desnica, BSc. Sc., Head of the Laboratory of the Institute of Mediterranean culture, University of Dubrovnik, and Professor of culinary arts, Mr Josip Žuvela from Dubrovnik, expertly rated 70 samples of jams and marmalades.
The exhibition part of the festival was held in the Luza square on 27th 28th and 29th September, a large number of domestic and foreign visitors attended the presentation of fresh and colorful products from all over the Croatia. The festival was opened by the president of the Organizing Committee Ms. Jany Hansal and Mr. Davorko Obuljen on behalf of Dubrovnik-Neretva County, and the Assistant Minister of Agriculture, Mrs. Zvjezdana Blažic declared open this event. The aim of the Festival was to present high-quality local products and to promote the abundance of Croatian heritage. more info
LIBERTAS FOUNDATION is non-profit, public and humanitarian organization, founded in San Pedro, California in December 1991 by our felow countryman from different part of Dubrovnik and Neretva County, as well as from all parts of Croatia with one and only goal : to help their country. From the year 2003 up to date, Libertas Foundatition has granted 135 scholarships assisted by DESA-Dubrovnik acting as logistic support. Call for applications was published in June and more than 20 applications have been received. more info
Consortium Meeting of the WISE project was held on September 10th to 13th 2014 in Crete, Drapanos, near the town of Chania. The meeting was attended two representatives Desa: Jany Hansal and Seka Limov. This meeting of the consortium project was of the utmost importance because it denoted the end of the first year of the project, and was also the last meeting of all partners before the start of the WISE programme.
The revision of all implemented activities was made during the meeting, especially the revision of materials created for the learning program. The framework and work plan for the activities till the end of the project has been adopted. It was agreed that all training modules should be ready by September 20th and also the annual reports on the activities and partners.
- A member of Desa – Dubrovnik took part in the meeting organized by Department of Culture and Heritage of the City of Dubrovnik on the subject of „ Candidacy of Dubrovnik for European City of Culture“
- Members of DESA and DESA Pro Ltd. took part in the workshop called „ From an idea to a successful application to ESF“ which refers to project 1.1.11 – Education for enterprising and handicraft. This workshop has been a part of the project „ Preparation of projects and support to ESF beneficiaries“, carried on by WYG International and the main partner in this is Ministry of labour and retirement system.
- DEŠA–Dubrovnik took part in the Festival of Creative Documentary Film „ClosEUp/Europe closely“ held in Dubrovnik on August 30, 2014. at 8.p.m., in the open-air cinema Slavica. There were 20 short documentary films presented to the public, in which the leaders and participants talked about their personal experiences in starting, implementation and management of EU projects. One of the movies presented a successful DESA’s project called MOTS „More opportunities through new skills“ ref. video
- DEŠA-Dubrovnik continues successful cooperation with Management an employees of the County Jail in Dubrovnik organizing yet another English language course for inmates. On Thursday,July 10, 2014 Ms. Jany Hansal, DESŠ’s President handed out diplomas to the participants in the course. This was 3rd English language course organized, led by prof. Vesna Božinović and 12 inmate participants successfully and with great interest attended.
- DEŠA-Dubrovnik participated in TERRA MADRE BALKAN meeting, which took place in Dubrovnik from June 19 – 22. The Earth Market was created in the Park Gradac and food and products from Albania, Bulgaria, Bosnia and Hercegovina, Montenegro, Croatia, Greece, Macedonia, Romania, Serbia and Turkey were presented to the public.
- On June 6, 2014, DEŠA Dubrovnik and Association „Dubrovačka naranča“, participated in the manifestation called „Day of associations’ open doors“ which offered a possibility to introduce the work and activities of these two associations to the public, both from local community and tourists passing by.
- On Friday, June 6, we hosted female students of High School from Blato, their mentor as well as representatives of the Old people’s home from Blato. The girls won the prize „Impression of the Heart“ due to their activities and volunteer services provided to the people in the Home. Deša members introduced their activities to them, held a brief class of weaving, sugar coated almonds and orange peels. more info
- The project „Tići volonterici“ ( Little birdies-volunteers) DEŠA aimed to motivate children to take part in the community as volunteers. Young generation has learned about basic social values, the importance of their work for community benefits through volunteering and promotion of higher human values as the basis of their future life. more info
- DEŠA’s president, Ms. Jany Hansal, participated in the presentation of traditional products of Dubrovnik Neretva County, that was organized by DUNEA, and held on June 3rd, at the hotel Lapad.
- On May 28, 2014 DEŠA-Dubrovnik presented its activities and projects during the week of European Social Fund, organized by Ministry of Labour and Retirement System as the Managing board of the Operational programme for development of human resources 2007 – 2013. This event was organized in Split.
- On May 26 and 27, 2014 DEŠA participated in the International Conference „European Union : from active citizens to citizens’ support“ in Impact Centre in Zadar and was organized by NZZRCD.
- DEŠA – Dubrovnik participated in a meeting of representatives of the network STEP, which was held in Knin on May 22nd 2014. The activities that are conducted through regional development programs and possibilities for their improvement have been discussed at this meeting.
In February 2014, DEŠA-Dubrovnik has started a project called „ Promotion of employment of young population on distant and geographical isolated islands“. This project is a part of EU Operational programme of development of human potentials and has been financed by EU funds, as well as the Office for cooperation with NGO’s of the Republic of Croatia. DEŠA’s partners in this projects are: SVIMA –association for development of organizations of civil Society, Association for sustainable development of the Island of Rava, Craft College Zagreb and School of electrical engineering Varaždin.
Through this project we analyse the problem of limited possibilities for studying and employment on the most of Croatian islands, which influences directly the social aspects of exclusion of young population on those islands. We have organized a first focus groups on the islands of Korcula, Mljet and Vir, which will be followed by a focus group on the Island of Rava. The focus groups are organized for young population as well as the most important members of local communities. More info
- DESA – Dubrovnik has once again organized an English course for prisoners of the County Prison in Dubrovnik, thereby continuing the good cooperation between the administration and staff of the Prison and DEŠA – Dubrovnik. The course is set on the May 8th 2014., and it is continuously held in the prison several times a week.
On the April 19th, the passengers from Peace Boat – Japanese ship of peace, visited DESA’s premises. DESA organized workshops on weaving, embroidery and autochthonous delicacies. DESA’s members invited our Japanese friends for lunch at their homes. The visit of the passengers from Peace Boat (Japan Grace) has become a tradition over past 14 years.
During the same day, the group of Palestinian and Israeli students from the Peace Boat visited DESA’s premises, all within the peace initiatives Building bridges of coexistence. Young people have listened with interest lecture on the history of DESA and the position of women in Croatia, and expressed their thoughts and experiences. more info
- Within the implementation of the project “Promoting the employability of young people on geographically isolated / remote islands,” on April 16th and 17th were held focus groups on the island of Vis. The main objective of the focus groups is to determine the point of view of representatives of key stakeholders from the island of Vis regarding the issue of employability / lifelong learning opportunities for young people in geographically isolated / remote islands in Dalmatia, and the opportunity for further networking of various institutions and effective advocacy on these issues on inter-county, national and EU level.
DEŠA-Dubrovnik continues its tradition of organizing Easter workshops. Palm knitting workshops are organized in the new premises of DEŠA – Dubrovnik in Lazareti, in the period from April 08th to 11th. This year, palm knitting workshops were organized in the framework of the project “Easter in my town,” funded by the City of Dubrovnik, Department of Culture and Heritage and Dubrovnik Neretva County, Department of Education, Culture and Sports.
Within the implementation of the project “Nestlings, Volunteers” DEŠA – Dubrovnik successfully conducted interactive workshops for primary school children on the island of Mljet, Korčula and Dubrovnik, in the period from January to April 2014. Workshops “Get moving, change everything – Mapping the problems of the community” are the part of the project ” Nestlings, Volunteers” which encourage awareness and motivation of elementary school children in volunteer activities in their local community, as well as the promotion of communion and the common good. The project involves three schools in Dubrovnik Neretva County. In addition to sensitizing and motivating children to volunteer activities in the local community, within the project were held workshops to empower teachers, volunteer coordinators for future initiatives in primary schools on the island of Mljet, Korčula and Dubrovnik. Workshops to empower teachers have been conducted by members of the Volunteer Center of Dubrovnik, the project partners. Project “Nestlings, Volunteers” has been completely funded by the Ministry of Science, Education and Sports.
- Representatives of DEŠA – Dubrovnik participated in the partnership meeting WISE project, where DEŠA has been involved as partner. This is a project that promotes social innovation and social entrepreneurship and it has been implemented in Spain, Greece, Switzerland and Croatia, in the period of 24 months. More about the project at the link
- As a part of the project “Easter in my town,” DEŠA-Dubrovnik organized a traditional Easter palm knitting workshops in the elementary school Antun Masle Orašac. Workshops were held on April 8th 2014. at the premises of the primary school, and were attended by twenty students. Our members have transferred knowledge of the old skills on the school children, and in this way, we ensure the continuation of this ancient Easter tradition in this area.
- DEŠA – Dubrovnik hosted, in its premises on the April 3rd 2014, the participants of the World Conference Gathering of international associations of business women. The conference was organized by the World Organization of Women Entrepreneurs FCEM and Croatian Association of Business women KRUG. The women members of the GTF – Regional Centre for Gender Equality also participated in this Conference. At the meeting, about 250 participants from 30 countries, in a three-day work program, entitled “Using comparative advantages in achieving competitiveness” exchanged their experiences.
- DEŠA – Dubrovnik participated at the launch of the Strategy of development of social entrepreneurship for the period from 2014th to 2020th year, which was organized by the Ministry of Labour and Pension System and held on March 28th in Dubrovnik.
DESA – Dubrovnik participated at the 11th Mediterranean Fair of Healthy Food and Medicinal Herbs which was held from March 27th to April 1st in Dubrovnik.
DESA – Dubrovnik participated in the 7th Job Fair, which was organized on March 26th by the Croatian Employment Service, Regional Office of Dubrovnik. At the roundtable, “How to prevent and eliminate long-term youth unemployment in the labor market”, to all stakeholders and community media was presented DEŠA’s project “Promoting the employability of young people on geographically isolated / remote islands”, EU co-financed under the Operational Programme Human Resources Development Scheme grant means “Support programs of civil society organizations in the field of advocacy and motivation for socially excluded groups.”
Specific project objectives are to improve the capacity of associations necessary to advocate for public policies aimed at promoting employability and social inclusion of young people in geographically isolated / remote islands and encourage effective mechanisms for public advocacy / lobbying and public awareness about existing conditions, problems and expectations regarding the employability of young people in geographically isolated / remote islands. The project will be implemented in the territory of the island of Korčula, Mljet, Vis, Rava and the Pelješac peninsula.
As a part of the “Masters of the waste” in Lazareti, on March 25th. The first workshop was conducted for primary school pupils Ivan Gundulić. The workshop was attended by 98 children, accompanied by their teachers, and learned all about the classification of waste and recyclables collection. Our youngest, thanks to their teachers, showed impressive knowledge but also an interest in primary selection and preservation of the environment. The purpose of the series of activities planned for the project is to raise the environmental awareness of our children and adopting healthy habits. The “Masters of the waste” is funded by the city of Dubrovnik, Department of Spatial Planning, Urban Planning and Environmental Protection.
After the workshops conducted with elementary school students on the island of Mljet, Korčula and Dubrovnik, DEŠA – Dubrovnik, with the workshop organized on March 24th, “Motivation for volunteering” on Korčula, completed part of the project “Tići Volonterići” relating to the education of teachers in primary schools. Workshops on motivation for volunteering and voluntary actions were implemented in collaboration with the trainers from the Volunteer Center of Dubrovnik.
Teachers and other staff from Primary School Babino polje on the island of Mljet, Primary School Ivan Gundulić from Dubrovnik, and Primary School Petar Kanavelić from Korčula met with the specifics of education on volunteering and created an action plan for voluntary actions that will be implemented in schools in the future. A total of 39 employees of the schools participated in this project. Through voluntary actions schools aimed at promoting the value and habit of volunteering among children and adolescents. Tići volonterići – Project funded by the Ministry of Science, Education and Sports.
Representatives of DEŠA – Dubrovnik participated in the regular meeting of the participants of the Regional Development programme, implemented by the National Foundation for Civil Society Development in partnership with five regional networks of specialized civil society organizations. In the framework of the Regional Development, DEŠA is the county organization that collaborates in the STEP program. This was a regular meeting at which regional networks presented their results and operating plans for the year 2014, and exchanged experiences.
Representatives of DEŠA – Dubrovnik held a workshop on “Possibilities for the development of rural tourism and self-employment of women in rural areas,” on the March 22nd in Kučiće near Omiš. The workshop was held within the IPA Cross-border project “Bridging Differences” which holder is an association of Ecumenical Women’s Initiative of Omiš.
DEŠA’s representatives have conducted workshops on Project Cycle Management, on the island of Mljet on March 10th and 11th, and in Viganj on the Pelješac peninsula on the March 13th and 14th, in the organization of the LAG 5. The workshops were conducted under Measure 202 of the IPARD programme, sub-measure 202.1.2.”Training and education of staff, volunteers and members of the LAG.” Twenty stakeholders, especially representatives of Mljet and Pelješac associations and entrepreneurs, were informed about the possibilities of financing projects in our area from EU funds and national funds. On the practical examples they were acquainted with the key steps to prepare projects for funding from these and similar sources, with emphasis on the use of EU funds. The work of the LAG 5 was also presented at the workshop.
- Representatives of DEŠA took part in the presentation of the operational plan of the Civil society Council of the city of Dubrovnik, and presentation of the contest of Foundation Kajo Dadić, which was held on March 12th 2014 in Dubrovnik
- Representative of DEŠA – Dubrovnik participated in a roundtable discussion on March 6th 2014, on the theme “Media stereotypes about women” on the occasion of International Women’s Day organized by the Commission for Gender Equality of Dubrovnik Neretva county.
- DESA – Dubrovnik, in cooperation with the Center for Rehabilitation Josipovac have started with a pilot implementation of the workshops of embroidery for users of the Centre. The workshops will be held twice a week. This kind of cooperation between organizations and institutions improve the quality of life of people with intellectual disabilities, encourage their motor skills and development of social competences.
- DESA’s representative took part in the presentation of the EU Programme Creative Europe – a sub- programme Culture and the European Capitals of Culture, which was held on 27th February in Dubrovnik. The presentation was organized by Desk of the Creative Europe of the Ministry of Culture and Development Agency of the City of Dubrovnik.
- The representative of DEŠA-Dubrovnik took part in the evacuation exercises in elementary school Ivan Gundulić. The exercise was held in the framework of the implementation of measures to protect and rescue, in cooperation with the Headquarters of protection and rescue and Regional Office for Protection and Rescue Dubrovnik. In the exercise have participated Protection and Rescue Headquarters of Dubrovnik, Elementary School Ivan Gundulić, County center 112, Public Fire Brigade Dubrovnik fire department, Department of Emergency Medicine of Dubrovnik Neretva County , and the Red Cross Dubrovnik.
- DEŠA’s representative participated in a roundtable on the topic “Social Inclusion and Employment of marginalized groups – Opportunities and Challenges”, which was held on February 26th in Dubrovnik. Roundtable was organized by the Administrative Department of intergenerational solidarity, veterans and families of Dubrovnik-Neretva county, within the program of activities of the EU project PEGASUS.
- Representative of DEŠA – Dubrovnik participated in the founding meeting of the Platform for International Civic Solidarity in Croatia. Constituent Assembly was held on Friday, February 21st 2014 in the House of Human Rights in Zagreb.
- DEŠA – Dubrovnik participated at the Symposium of family farms and organizations from the area of the Župa Dubrovačka and Konavle, organized by the Local Action Group LAG2 (Župa Dubrovačka and Konavle) in collaboration with DURA, the development agency of the city of Dubrovnik. At the symposium, held on February 2nd 2014, DESA’s representative presented the business of associations.
- In Zagreb was held regular annual meeting of the Association CEDRA, in which participated DEŠA’s representative.
- The representative of DEŠA – Dubrovnik participated in the round table “Initiatives of the European Union for employment, vocational training and education of youth ” on Wednesday, February 19th, which was organized by Development Agency of the City of Dubrovnik DURA in cooperation with the Office of Oleg Valjalo, MEPs and the University of Dubrovnik. The round table was held in Dubrovnik.
The representative of DEŠA took part in a meeting of the Council for Development of Volunteerism, which was organized by the Volunteer Center of Dubrovnik, on February 17th , at the premises of Rina Mašera.
- DESA’s representative took part in the meeting of the providers of psychosocial services, on the topic of providing psychosocial support to civilian victims of war, which is part of a broader efforts in advocacy of the right to redress and reparation of civilian victims of war with appropriate rehabilitation and integration into society. Organized by the association Documenta from Zagreb, meeting was held on Monday, February 17th 2014 at the Hotel Lero in Dubrovnik.
Within the implementation of the project “Tići, volonterići” DEŠA – Dubrovnik, successfully implemented interactive workshops for primary school children, on the island of Mljet on February 14th and the island of Korčula on the February 17th. The workshop “Mapping community problems – move on, change everything” as a part of the project “Tići volonterići”, which encourage awareness and motivation of elementary school children in volunteer activities in their local community, as well as the promotion of communion and the common good.
DESA – Dubrovnik continued successful long-term cooperation with the management and employees of the County Prison in Dubrovnik, continuing to organize English course at the prison premises. On Friday, February 14th, at 10:00 a.m., the president of DESA-Dubrovnik, Ms. Jany Hansal handed over diplomas for successful completion of English courses, to the attenders in the County Prison in Dubrovnik.
Over the past two months, DEŠA organized an English course for the prisoners in the County Prison in Dubrovnik, which was held for several times a week at the prison premises. The inmates have shown great interest in learning the English language, and 14 of them have successfully completed this course, under the expert guidance of Professor Vesna Božinović.
This time the group even had a dimension of multinationality because consisted of citizens of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro, Albania, Serbia, Guatemala and Croatia. The group had a perfect match with prof. Vesna and ultimately achieved a success in attending, which was evident from the final test papers.
During its long-term work in the community, DEŠA-Dubrovnik has always focused on the identification of problems and needs in the community, especially the marginalized and socially excluded groups of society. Also, through all its projects and programs, continually builds and strengthens partnerships between the private and public sectors, and works with local authorities, government and public institutions. This is one more example of recognizing the problems and needs of the local community, and DEŠA’s efforts to come out to meet the marginalized groups of our community, and in this case they are deprived of their liberty. In this way, they were given the opportunity to make useful their time of servitude, adopting new knowledge which will, upon release, be of use for them.
The president of DEŠA, Jany Hansal participated in a meeting on February 13th in Zagreb, organized by the Office for Cooperation with NGOs of the Republic of Croatia and the National Foundation for Civil Society Development, in order to exchange mutual information on investment plans from public sources in 2014, for programs and projects of civil society organizations, as well as the structures and models of support for balanced regional development of civil society in Croatia.
The meeting was attended by representatives of counties, regional support centers and their collaborating organizations operating in all counties and regional development agencies and LAG network.
- The president of DEŠA and the member of the Council for Development of Civil Society of the Republic of Croatia, Ms Jany Hansal, participated in the regular session oft he Council , which was held on, February 12th, at 01:30 p.m., in Banski dvori. The session discussed the current progress achieved in implementation of the National Strategy for creation of enabling environment for civil society development from 2012 to 2016. Furthermore, there was conducted a discussion on the possibilities for the development of civil society in the Republic of Croatia, adopted in a plan of funding opportunities and programs for civil society organizations from the state budget and EU funds for 2014.
The president of DEŠA-Dubrovnik, Ms. Jany Hansal, on February 10th 2014 in Zagreb, signed a grant award contract from the program “Support programs of civil society organizations in the field of advocacy and motivation for socially excluded groups” within the EU Operational Programme for Human Resources Development, financed by the EU and the Government Office for Cooperation with NGOs.
The project entitled “Promoting the employability of young people on geographically isolated / remote islands,“ DESA-Dubrovnik will implement in partnership with SVIMA – the Association for the Development of Civil Society, the Association for the sustainable development of the island of Rava, Crafts College in Zagreb, electromechanical engineering school in Varaždin, in the counties of Dubrovnik-Neretva, Split – Dalmatia and Zadar, on the islands of Korčula, Mljet, Vis and Rava.
Through the implementation of planned activities the emphasis will be placed on the creation of an informal coalition, in the first phase consisting of associations working in the relevant islands and various institutions in the education sector (as associate members of the informal coalition). National Foundation for Development of Civil Society and Government Office for Associations are responsible for the monitoring of implementation of this project. more info
- The associations Deša and Dubrovnik orange, this year too, successfully organized the Day of bitter orange. Volunteers were dilligent in presentation and selling delicacies made from Dubrovnik bitter orange from 09:00 a.m. to 04:00 p.m. All revenue raised from the sale of sweet and bitter delicacies, will be assigned to the Association for Muscular Dystrophy, Cerebral Palsy and other physical disabilities from Dubrovnik-Neretva County. Fabulous cake with jam made of bitter orange made by reputable Dubrovnik hotels: Excelsior, Lacroma, Hilton, Neptune, Rixos, Petka, Park, pastry shops: Pupica, Ana, Galeta, Dolce Vita, Dubrava Babin Kuk, Gabi and Amphora restaurant, disappeared in a record time. more info
- Representative of DEŠA participated in the presentation of project application for the grant funding from the EU for SMEs: “Increasing economic activity and competitiveness of SMEs”, which was held on January 29th in the Hotel More in Dubrovnik. At the presentation were processed the following: the filling of the application, evaluation and approval – the most important steps and documents, evaluation methodology and also the basic elements of the evaluation of the enterprise’s size.
- The Association Bonsai, within the implementation of the project „inVOLONTIRAMse!“ organized a round table on the topic “Challenges and opportunities of young people volunteering in Dubrovnik” on January 23rd 2014 in Dubrovnik. DEŠA’s representative participated in his round table.