- Regular – Electoral Assembly of DESA – Dubrovnik was held on December 22nd 2009 at DESA’s premises in Lazareti. The president of the association, Mrs. Hansal, has presented a report on the work of the association and report on the financial operations of the association.After adoption of the reports, there was proposed the program and the operating financial plan for 2010. As this was the electoral Assembly, the new members of the governing bodies of the association were elected.
- Within the implementation of the project „By means of voluntary work to positive changes in the community“, DEŠA’s members together with pupils (4th A grade) from the Primary school „Marin Getaldić“ from Dubrovnik, visited „Domus Christi“ the institution for elderly people in Dubrovnik, on December 22nd. On this occasion, pupils gave Christmas cards to the protegees of Domus Christi, made at DEŠA’s workshops on voluntary work. DEŠA’s members brought to the protegees autochthonous delicacies made at DEŠA’s workshops.
- DEŠA – Dubrovnik, with the products of its creative workshops, participates in the Christmas Fair, organized by the City of Dubrovnik and the Tourist Board of the City of Dubrovnik.The Christmas Fair will be held at atrium of the Sponza Palace, from December 13th to 31st.
- The representative of DESA participated at the workshop for potential applicants of the grant as part of the competition “Youth in the labor market” held in Zagreb on 09th December 2009. in organization Croatian Employment Service.
- On December 5th, the International Volunteer Day has been denoted all over the world, various activities by volunteers in their communities. On Saturday, December 5th, in front of the Sponza Palace, Desa-Dubrovnik and Eko group from primary school Marin Getaldić organized charitable action of selling bags and sacks for waste, made of ecological materials in order to support the workshop of the organization “Association of dystrophy, people with disabilities and children’s cerebral palsy and other physically disabled persons from Dubrovnik-Neretva County”. With this action, we joined the volunteers of the world and invited all citizens to give their contribution of generosity.
- A meeting of DEŠA-Dubrovnik and County Development Agency DUNEA, was held on December 2nd, at DEŠA’s premises. On this occassion was signed the General Agreement on Co-operation between DEŠA and Dunea. The meeting was also attended by vice county prefect, Ms. Marija Vučković.
- Within its cross-border cooperation project “Adriatic; small entrepreneurship and local development“, DESA – Dubrovnik organized two separate and equally important events on November 24th and 25th.
On Tuesday, the 24th November 2009, In the Small Hall of the City of Dubrovnik, the initiative committee met for the establishment of the association “Center for responsible tourism of the Adriatic region. The members of the Initiative Committee, with civil society organizations DESA – Dubrovnik and Cospe – Firenze, are prominent public persons from the Croatian and Italian academic communities, Dr. Sc. Saša Borić Poljanec, Prof. Alberico di Meo and Lucija Bronzan, along with the City of Dubrovnik, Dubrovnik – Neretva County and the Region of Marche, showing with this act their commitment to sustainable development of the Adriatic region.
On Wednesday, the 25th November 2009, at the premises of Dubrovnik Postgraduate center, was held an interesting International Conference on “Territorial approach to development of tourism”. MORE
- The representative of DESA participated at the Symposium for potential applicants in the competition for the award of the grant “Establishment of support social inclusion and employment of vulnerable and marginalized groups’ EuropeAid/129121/M/ACT/HR. Symposium organized by the Ministry of Health and Welfare and the Croatian Employment Service with the organizational support of ADD tim from Zagreb.
- Within the implementation of the project “By means of voluntary work to positive changes in the community”, which has been financed by the National Foundation for Civil Society Development, DEŠA – Dubrovnik organized a lecture on the topic “By voluntary work to sense of usefulness, social responsibility and active citizenship”, which took place on November 12th at the City Hall.
- The guest lecturer was prof. dr. Gojko Bežovan, eminent scientist and expert on civil society and social relations. Prof.dr. Bežovan, at the Law Faculty in Zagreb, lectures the Course of Croatian Social policy and Social planning for social work students, and for law students he lectures the Course of Social policy as an elective course. Prof. dr. Bežovan has been engaged in the researches of social policy, housing policy and civil society. In this field of work, he published several books, chapters in books, studies and articles. In daily and weekly newspapers he writes on current issues of development of Croatian society, and speaks on radio and television.
- He is the founder and president of CERANEO, Center for Development of non-profit organization, the first supporting organization for civil society development, now think-tank organization for the study of social policy and civil society.
- The topics of the lecture were: the importance of voluntary work as a civic virtue, dimensions and motivations for voluntary work, volunteering in Croatia, on what depends volunteering and possible motivation for the expansion of volunteerism.
- The lecture was attended by a numerous citizens and representatives of NGOs who had the opportunity to discuss the concept of volunteerism. From this lecture, a sort of message has been sent, and we expect cooperation and involvement of the media. Why voluntary work, as a desirable virtue of a community that needs to be nurtured, expanded and installed in the system of education, is not present or recognized in our society?
- The representative of DESA, participated in the 3rd workshop on the topic “EU in the community” organized by DIM association of DIM, which was held on November 6th and 7th 2009 in Tuhelj. The theme of this workshop was “From idea to project” in which participants learned how to create a logical framework matrix within EU projects.
- The representative of DESA, participated in the workshop on “EU legislation in the field of sustainable tourist urban and archaeological micro-destination”, organized by the European Commission within the TAIEX instrument. The workshop was held on November 6th in Zagreb.
- During the the second year of implementationof the international project “Center for responsible tourism of the Adriatic region”, DEŠA – Dubrovnik organized again training for small and medium enterpreneurs, in cooperation with the Dubrovnik Center for Entrepreneurship. The first part of the training was held on October 31st in Metković. Training elaborated folowing topics: introduction to entrepreneurship, legal – organizational forms for small and medium enterpreneurship, business plan, sustainable development and responsible tourism. After the first part of training, several participants will have the opportunity to attend the second part of training in Italy, where they will be acquainted with good practice examples of entrepreneurs who operate on the principles of sustainable development.
- The representative of DESA-Dubrovnik, Ms. Jany Hansal, participated in the 4th Congress of Women entrepreneurs of the Adriatic-Ionian region, that was held on October 26th and 27th, in Durres, Albania. This year, the conference theme was “Creativity and innovation in women’s enterprises in times of crisis”. Organized by Croatian Chamber of commerce – County Chamber of Dubrovnik and the Croatian Association of women entrepreneurs, Krug – Dubrovnik branch office, at the Congress in Durres were present six participants from Dubrovnik-Neretva County. This year, Congress brought together 190 participants and offered to women entrepreneurs the opportunity to get to know each other, share experiences, business cooperation and opportunity to participate in joint projects.
- Ms. Jany Hansal, the president of DEŠA-Dubrovnik, and Mrs. Aida Cvjetković participated in the gathering of the initiative for REKOM, where they witnessed the experience of the war in Dubrovnik. The main objective of the initiative for REKOM is to create the accurate, objective and official records of war crimes and other serious violations of human rights, recognition of victims and their suffering, as well as to prevent the crime recurrence. Meeting was held on 23.10.2009, in Podgorica, and it was organized by the association “Anima” from Kotor, and the Center for Civic Education in Podgorica.
- On the October 8th, the passengers from Peace Boat – Japanese ship of peace, visited DESA’s premises. DESA organized workshops on weaving, embroidery and autochthonous delicacies. After the workshops, DESA’s members invited our Japanese friends for lunch at their homes. After the lunch, the group of Hibakusha people – people who survived the atomic bomb in Hiroshima, gave their testimonies . A group of students from the postgraduate studies of politics and peace from Tuebingen, Germany, also paid visit to DESA as passengers from Peace Boat.
- The Third Croatian Festival of Jams and Marmalades was held on October 3rd and 4th, at Luža square in Dubrovnik. Festival was organized by DEŠA-Dubrovnik and the association „Dubrovačka naranča“. The „sweet Festival“, that reached the international level this year, attracted great number of domestic and foreign visitors. This cultural manifestation contributes to the affirmation of cultural tradition, customs and traditional products which, in this way, become a gastronomic souvenir, but also an additional tourist offer of the City of Dubrovnik. The manifestation was opened by State Secretary Mr. Tonci Bozanic from the Ministry of Agriculture, Fishery and Rural Development, which is also a sponsor of the Festival. MORE
- DESA’s representatives participated at the meeting with Marche Region and NVO COSPE from Florence, the partnes in the international project „Center for responsible tourism of Adriatic region“. The meeting was held on September 23rd in Ancona. The main goal of this meeting was their common contribution to improvement of this project, which will be implemented by the February 2011.
- DESA’s representative participated in a first thematic meeting of Croatian network for co-operation in Euro-Mediterranean, that was held on September 21st in Zagreb. The meeting was organized by the National Foundation for Civil Society Development, the coordinator of the Croatian network for cooperation in Euro-Mediterranean, within the Anna Lindh Foundation.
- In cooperation with Croatian network for rural development and the Center for community organizing from Czech Republic, DEŠA-Dubrovnik organized meeting on September 17th in Opuzen. The main goal of this meeting was to introduce the local stakeholders to the LEADER examples in Czech Republic, the activities of the local action groups, their achievements and obstacles. The Czech examples were presented by Mr. Roman Haken, the president of the Center for Community Organizing from Moravia – Czech Republic and also a representative of European Commission, department for agriculture, rural development and environment, and Ms Katerina Nesrstova , representative of the association Pro-bio and „LEADER – Czech experiences“.
- DESA’s representative took part at the seminar „Questions and answers concerning EU funds“ with special accent onto pre-access instruments and programs of the community, as well as procedures and regulations for project applications. Seminar was held from September 10th – 12th in Tuheljske toplice and was organized by DIM Zagreb.
- DESA’s representatives took part in Info day within IPA cross-border programe Croatia-Montenegro 2007-2013, that was held on September 10th in Dubrovnik. Info day was organized by Joint Technical Secretariat in cooperation with the Croatian Ministry of Regional Development, Forestry and Water supplies and the Ministry for European Integration of Montenegro.
- In cooperation with Libertas Foundation from San Pedro, California, and on behalf of the Foundation „Ante and Evelyn Mrgudić“, DESA-Dubrovnik organized distribution of scholarships to the pupils from crafts and professional schools, that was held on September 2nd at DESA’s premises. The representatives of Libertas Foundation awarded ten scholarships to the pupils from craft schools, for the school year 2009/2010. The scholarship amounts 1.000 US$ for the current school year. This has been the seventh year in a row that Libertas Foundation and the Foundation „Ante and Evelyn Mrgudić“ have supported the pupils from crafts and professional schools in Dubrovnik-neretva county. The scholarships were given to the future: haidressers, carpenters, mechanics, installers, plumbers, cooks and sellers from Dubrovnik, Korčula, Mljet , Ston, Župa Dubrovačka, Dubrovnik-primorje and Konavle.
- On August 31st, Croatian Tourism Minister Damir Bajs with his associates visited Dubrovnik and handed over the contracts on state supports for devlopmental projects for the beneficiaries from Dubrovnik-neretva county, at the total amount of 2,7 million kuna. DESA’s representative, Mrs Jany Hansal expressed thanks in the name of the associations and individuals, and she signed the contract for DEŠA’s project „The Embroidery from Dubrovačko Primorje – Croatian souvenir“.
- DESA’s representative took part in a seminar on the topic „Us as citizens of EU“ that was held within the programe „EU in a community“, on August 27th to 30th in Tuheljske toplice. The seminar was organized by DIM – Zagreb. A young activitsts from all over the Croatia discussed the topics on civil society and democratization, inter-sectorial co-operation at EU level and organized political interests in EU.
- On July 8th, a group of students from the University of Georgia, USA, headed by Mrs. Peggy Kreshel, the faculty member in the College of Journalism and Mass Communication and an affiliate faculty member of the Institute for Women’s Studies at the University of Georgia, visited DESA’s premises. Mrs. Jany Hansal gave them a lecture on DESA’s work and achievements. This visit was organized as a part of the educational experience during the summer semester, designed to give students an opportunity to visit important sites and talk with informed people about relevant issues.
- In co-operation with Croatian network for rural development, DESA-Dubrovnik organized an interactive workshop on the topic „The community role in sustainable rural development“. The co-ordinator of the workshop was mr. Roman Haken, the member of Bureau, Section for Agriculture, Rural Development and the Environment Section for External Relations, Brussels, and the director of CCO (Centre for Community Organizing), Moravia, Czech Republic. The workshop was held on July 7th, at DESA’s premises in Lazareti. The main goal of this workshop was to get the participants acquainted with „LEADER“, the new European approach to rural development, which programs have already been used by the countries members of EU. Mr. Haken also gave a short presentation on LEADER examples in Czech Republik, as well as the successes of Czech Local Action Groups. This is the first workshop in a row on the topics of rural development and LEADER approach, which DESA will organize starting from September till the end of 2009.
- Within the implementation of the project „By the exchange of experiences, knowledge and skills to good co-operation in the Adriatic region“ that is financed by the National Foundation for Civil Society Development, DESA-Dubrovnik organized workshops on patchwork and silk painting. The members of DESA’s patchwork club held the workshops on June 20th and 21st at the House of free mind in Kavce, Montenegro. The main goal of these workshops was to exchange experiences and transfer the knowledge and skills to the women in Montenegro.
- DESA’s patchwork club organized the patchwork workshop at the terrace of Gradska kavana on Saturday, 20th of June. With this workshop our intention is to contribute to the sensing the public concerning the art and creativity of handicrafts. Furthermore, with this event we also join the First European Day of patchwork, that has been annotated all over the Europe this year.
- Within the implementation of the projects „Citizens participation in sustainable development of the Region“ (PHARE 2006, partners CCO i HMRR) and „Sustainable development of Croatian rural areas“ (partners Milieukontakt International, ODRAZ, HMRR, SMART i PINS, program MATRA), DESA – Dubrovnik participated in the study tour in Czech Republic that took place from June 16th to 19th. The main objective of this study tour is to get well acquainted with examples of good practices and exchange of experiences. The main topics will be: successful local partnership for sustainable local development, citizens participation, implementation of the LA21, transparent local governance, good practices, LEADER approach, biofarming, renewable energies etc.
- DEŠA- Dubrovnik participated in the Adriatic Exibition Fair „Adria Navis Exibea“, that was held from June 0th to 13th in Neum. The second in a row, Adriatic Exibition Fair „Adria Navis Exibea“ is organized by the Agency Adria produkcia and Adria magazin, and was held under the sponsorship of the Administration of the Herzegovina-neretva County. At our stall, DEŠA presented our work over many years as well as the products of our workshops.
- In a very successful and continuous co-operation with 3a grade from the Primary school „Marin Getaldić“ and teacher Snježana Viteškić, DEŠA-Dubrovnik organized educational excursion within the implementation of the project „By voluntary work to positive changes in community“. Riding on the Napoleon road was an opportunity for the children to get acquainted better with this cultural and historical monument, as well as with the need of its valorization and protection. They also visited Slano, the Collection of stone monuments in Franciscan Monastery St. Jerome and Primary school Slano. On their way to the Grbljava settlement and their visit to wildlife refugee in Majkovo, the habitation of the endangered and protected river turtle (Mauremys rivulata), they passed through natural habitation of the wild grown oleander (Nerium oleander). From the belvedere in Gajine they enjoyed in a beuatiful view of Elafiti, and on their way back they visited Arboretum in Trsteno.
- DESA-Dubrovnik participated in the workshop for the rural development animators – TEPA that was held from June 7th – 10th in Fužine. This workshop has been financed from the project „Sustainable development of Croatian rural areas“ that has been implemented since 2007 in co-operation of Milieukontakt International, ODRAZ, SMART, CCI and PINS d.o.o. The Croatian network for rural development is a project partner since 2008.
- DESA’s representative took part at the II. Fair „Festival of sustainable development“ that was held from June 5th to 6th in Biograd na Moru. This Festival has been co-sponsored by the Ministry of agriculture, fishery and rural development. The organizer of the manifestation is Agricultural co-operative „List“ and co-organizers are The City of Biograd na Moru and Tourist Board Biograd na Moru.
- World Environmental Day is marked every year on June 5th on the anniversary of the United Nations Conference in Stockholm (1972.). World Environmental Day is dedicated to the environment, and it adopted Environmental Program of United Nations (UNEP). DEŠA – Dubrovnik has printed a leaflet which wants to encourage people to become active shareholders in even and sustainable development and that they take responsibility for preserving the planet. The leaflet was distributed by students of third year class from primary school Marin Getaldić and primary school Gruda. The leaflet has been distributed on June 05th at Stradun and in Gruda.
- DESA’s representatives participated in the Forum for partnerships within IPA cross-border programme Croatia – Montenegro. The Forum was held on June 3rd at the premises of the University of Dubrovnik.
- The representatives of DESA-Dubrovnik took part in the seminar on the Day of bio-diversities and the Day of nature protection in the Republic of Croatia, that was held on May 23rd in Zagvozd. The seminar was organized by the Public institution „Nature park Biokovo“ and the Municipality of Zagvozd. On this occasion DESA’s representative, mrs. Jany Hansal made a presentation (power point) on the Silk project, that aroused great interest amongst all present participants.
- DESA’s representative took part on May 20th, in the Info day of the Program „Culture 2007 – 2013, that was organized by Department for cultural contacts of the Ministry of Culture.
- DEŠA – Dubrovnik is implementing the project “Centre for responsible tourism of Adriatic region” in cooperation with NGO Cospe from Florence, Marche Region, and the Ministry of Tourism of the Republic of Croatia. The project is financed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Italy. One of the activities of this project is training for small entrepreneurs, which consists of two parts. The first part of the training was held in Ponikve, Pelješac peninsula on May 16th, and the themes of this training covered: an introduction to entrepreneurship, the legal and organizational forms of small and medium enterprises, clusters, sustainable development and responsible tourism. Some of the best participants will have an opportunity to attend the second part of the training – a study tour in Italy, where they will be introduced to good practice examples of entrepreneurs who are working on the principles of sustainable development.
- Representative of the association DEŠA Dubrovnik was a guest on the reality show Farm of NovaTV on May 13th. Deša representative presented the process of rearing silk worms to the farmers and demonstrated a traditional way of silk production. Farmers also heared a story how DEŠA restored the tradition of silk production during the war in Dubrovnik region.
- Within the implementation of the project „By the exchange of experiences, knowledge and skills to the good cooperation at the Adriatic region“, DEŠA-Dubrovnik had a presentation of its activities. The presentation was held on May 13th in the „The House of Free Mind“ at the premises of the Anima, village Kavča (Montenegro). The presentation was attended by 20 women from Kotor, Tivat, Luštica, Budva and Kavča, who were very interested in our activities. After the wide spectrum of DESA’s activities designed for women from Dubrovnik-neretva county, presented by Mrs. Jany Hansal, DEŠA’s president, the women from Montenegro expressed a wish to have organized workshops on silk painting and patchwork during the second half of the month June.
- DESA’s representative took part in the workshop on strategic planing of HMRR (Croatian Rural Development Network) that was held on May 12th in Zagreb.
- In co-operation with the City Library from Vukovar DEŠA-Dubrovnik organized an exibition of unique works made in different techniques: silk embroidery, patchwork, silk painting and palm knitting, entitled „Playful colours of friendship“, that was held from May 8t to 9th at the premises of the City Library Vukovar. During the opening ceremony, both Mrs. Antonija Kukuljica and Mrs Jany Hansal pointed out the fact that the City of Vukovar and the City of Dubrovnik have already established formally friendship relations, but it is important to foster connections and cooperation between the citizens of the both cities. On this occassion DESA’s members contributed to the Pediatric department of the general Hospital in Vukovar with 20 baby quilts made in patchwork technique.
- DESA’s members also organized workshops on creative skills:palm knitting, silk painting, patchwork, emboidery from Konavle and from the Island of Mljet. With strong support of our friends from Dubrovnik, we managed to organize casual party with our delicacies and wine from the Pelješac peninsula. The visitors from Vukovar had an opportunity to taste delicacies such as: dried figs, arancini, almonds in sugar, cheese in oil, salted pilchards, anchovies, travarica (home made brandy) and plavac (wine).
- Great number of the citizens from Vukovar visited the exibition and took part in our workshops, and spent their free time in keeping company with the friends from Dubrovnik.
- DEŠA’s visit to Vukovar, exibition and workshops were organized in cooperation with the City of Dubrovnik, City of Vukovar, City Library from Vukovar and „Libertas“ – entreprise for public transportation.
- Within the implementation of the project „By means of voluntary work to positive changes in the community“, DESA-Dubrovnik organized a sale of Easter decorations made by pupils from Primary school „Marin Getaldić“ Dubrovnik and Primary school Gruda-Pridvorje. The financial means from sale were assigned to the Center for re-habilitation Josipovac and the Association of dystrophy sufferers, cerebral palsy invalids and other disabled persons from Dubrovnik –neretva county. On April 30th , DESA’s members with pupils from 3rd A grade from Primary school „Marin Getaldić“, accompanied by the teacher Snježana Viteškić, visited the Association of dystrophy sufferers, cerebral palsy invalids and other disabled persons from Dubrovnik – Neretva County and handed them over the collected money.
- Within the implementation of the project „Center for responsible tourism of Adriatic region“, and after the training for agents of local development that was held form March 16th – 24th in Dubrovnik, 7 participants of the training had an opportunity to attend the second part of the training – study tour in Italy, in the regions Emilia Romagna and Marche. The training was attended by 20 participants, out of which 7 participants successfully wrote a projects and ended the training. The other part of the training, the study tour was held from April 19th to 24th in Italy. The young agents of local development had an opportunity there to get acquainted with the examples of best practices on the principles of sustainable development, LAG, Leader approach, EMAS and Ecolabel certificates, agritourism and horizontal hotels.
- DEŠA – Dubrovnik is implementing the project “Centre for responsible tourism of Adriatic region” in cooperation with NGO Cospe from Florence, Marche Region, and the Ministry of Tourism of the Republic of Croatia. The project is financed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Italy. One of the activities of this project is training for small entrepreneurs, which consists of two parts. The first part of the training was held in Metkovic on 16th and 17th of April, and the themes of this training covered: an introduction to entrepreneurship, the legal and organizational forms of small and medium-sized enterprises, business plan, marketing and market, sustainable development and responsible tourism. Some of the best participants will be attending the second part of training in Italy, where they will be introduced to good practice examples of entrepreneurs who are working on the principles of sustainable development.
- On the occasion of the forthcoming Easter holidays, DESA – Dubrovnik organized a patchwork exibition on the topic „Spring awakening“ at the premises of City Library in Dubrovnik, for the period from April 2nd to 10th 2009. The members of DESA’s Patchwork club assigned a part of the exibits as a present for women from Vukovar.
- The pupils from the 3rd grade from the primary school „Marin Getaldić“ and DESA’s members, visited „Domus Christi“, the institution for elderly people on April 7th. On this occasion, pupils and DESA’s memebers gave presents to the protegees of Domus Christi, Easter eggs made at DESA’s workshops on voluntary work. DESA-Dubrovnik has organized the workshops on voluntary work within the implementation of the project „By means of voluntary work to positive changes in community“, funded by the National Foundation for Civil Society Development and the City of Dubrovnik.
- DESA-Dubrovnik has successfully organized the courses of English language in Ston and on the Island of Mljet in January 2009.These courses were organized within the implementation of the project „The Center for responsible tourism of Adriatic region“. 21 participant successfuly attended and passed these courses.
- On the occasion of the one of the gretest christian holidays – the Easter holiday, DEŠA – Dubrovnik organized traditional Easter workshops on palm knitting and egg painting at its premises in Lazareti.
- Within the implementation of the project “Dubrovnik, Easter Workshops” that has been financed by the Ministry of Culture, DEŠA – Dubrovnik organized workshops on palm knitting and egg painting. On the behalf of the Ministry of Culture, Mrs. Maja Nodari, representative of the Board for the protection of cultural heritage of Dubrovnik, visited DESA’s Easter workshops.
- A representative of DEŠA – Dubrovnik took part in a workshop on Strategic planning of Croatian Rural Development Network for a period of three years, that was held on 30th and 31st March in Lužnica near Zaprešić.
- Within the project “Promotion of Deficiency Crafts Professions” organized by Croatian Chamber of Trades and Crafts of Dubrovnik – Neretva County, the Croatian Employment Service, regional office of Dubrovnik and the Croatian Chamber of Economy – County Chamber Dubrovnik, DEŠA – Dubrovnik presented a scholarship program for pupils from craft schools , that has started in 2003 in cooperation with “Libertas Foundation” from San Pedro, California.
- Within the project “By Means of Volunteerism to Positive Changes in the Community”, funded by the National Foundation for Development of Civil Society, a member of DESA – Dubrovnik held a workshop on the topic of volunteerism in primary schools Radovčići and Pridvorje on the 30th March.
- From 27th to 29th March, the 6th Mediterranean Fair of Healthy Food and Medicinal Herbs was held in the hotel Tirena, organized by Dubrovnik Sun d.o.o. in cooperation with the following associations :Healthy City, Croatian Chamber of Commerce – County Chamber Dubrovnik, the Chamber of Trade – Dubrovnik-Neretva County, Dubrovnik Centre for Entrepreneurship, Dubrovnik-Neretva County, the City of Dubrovnik, Regional Development Agency “Dunea”, Humanitarian and peacekeeping organization “DESA-Dubrovnik” and the Association of Healthy Life from Rijeka. As every year, DESA held its traditional workshops: weaving, embroidery, egg painting and palm knitting.
- On March 16th, within the project “Centre for Responsible Tourism of Adriatic Region”, DEŠA – Dubrovnik started with a seminar for the agents of local development. Lectures were held at University of Dubrovnik. At the opening of the seminar, participants were welcomed by State Secretary of Ministry of Tourism of Croatia, Mr. Ivo Mujo, as this program is co-financed by the Ministry of Tourism within the framework of projects which have been granted funds from the EU pre-accession funds and other international funds.
The seminar consisted of the following thematic contents:
- The development of my community
- Sectors of the society
- European approaches to local development in rural areas (LAG and LEADER)
- EU pre-accession funds
- Project logic and project writing
- Tourism as an instrument of development of the territory
- Marketing as an instrument of development of the territory
- Territory as a tourist product
- Lecturers were reputable experts from the association “Odraz” from Zagreb, “Smart” from Rijeka, the University of Dubrovnik, from abroad and NGOs, all specialized in local development and project cycle. After the seminar the participants have been creating their own projects and the best projects will be selected and their authors will continue with the second part of the training for agents of local development in Italy, which is planned in April.
- On March 12th, DEŠA – Dubrovnik organized a round table “Sustainable Development and Responsible Tourism of my Community” in Metkovic in the hotel “Narona”. The project “Centre for Responsible Tourism of Adriatic Region” was presented to the participants, as well as all of the following activities of the project. Training for agents of local development and training for small entrepreneurs has been announced. Furthermore, all participants of the round table worked out joint SWOT analysis of the present state of their municipality.
- DEŠA – Dubrovnik organized training abroad for public officers, which took place from 07th to 10th f March 2009, in Marche Region, Italy. The training for public officers is one of the activities of the project “Centre for responsible tourism of Adriatic region”, which DESA – Dubrovnik is implementing in cooperation with NGO Cospe from Florence, Marche Region and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Italy. They visited the fair Tipicità, met with the Lags issues, the LEADER rural development approaches, and with municipalities Fermi, Porto Sant Elpidio, Senigallia and province Ascoli Piceno, in other words municipalities which promote eco and rural tourism.
- DEŠA – Dubrovnik participated in the “Empowering Women with Disabilities for Inclusion in the Process of Political Decision-making at the Local Level”, which took place on March 9th in the General Hospital Dubrovnik, organized by the Association of Organizations of Disabled Persons in Croatia.
- On March 5th DEŠA – Dubrovnik organized a celebration of International Women’s Day in its premises in Lazareti. About fifty women of all ages gathered on this occasion, and not even bad weather prevented this traditional gathering.
- This year, DEŠA dedicated denotation of International Women’s Day to great woman – Croatian woman writer and the first Croatian woman journalist, Marija Juric Zagorka, born on 2nd March 1873. Two students from Dubrovnik Grammar school have prepared special essay about the life and work of the greatest Croatian writer one of the first in Croatia advocating feminism and encouraging women to participate more on public and political plan. Although her feminist engagement caused hostility and derision of her male colleagues, untill the end of her life she continued to fight for equality for women.
After the introductory greetings of the president of the association, Ms. Jany Hansal attendees were greeted by the Lady Mayor of Dubrovnik, Ms. Dubravka Šuica and president of Forum of women of SDP, Ms. Olga Muratti. Among the guests were present vice-county prefect of Dubrovnik-Neretva County, Mr. Miše Galjuf, head of Services for International Relations and European Integration of Dubrovnik-Neretva County, Ms. Aida Cvjetkovic and president of the Women’s Union of HDZ “Katarina Zrinska,” Ms. Dubravka Marunčić.
In addition to the cultural programme, the women from Deša organized party folloed by traditional lottery. Despite cold and rainy weather, the atmosphere in DESA was delightful and cheerful. Nowadays such gatherings, regardless of political commitment, profession or personal interests are rare. DESA has been celebrating this day every year with the same enthusiasm and joy, the day so important for the affirmation of women as equal members of society, even when this day was not celebrated in Croatia.
- Croatian Employment Service, Regional Office Dubrovnik, has organized the 2nd Fair of Jobs held on March 3rd at the University of Dubrovnik. The goals of the Fair are: to increase employment in the county, to give unemployed people the opportunity of presenting themselves to the employers, provide and facilitate the ability of employers to present their needs for workers and to enable employers to directly become familiar with the labour market of the County. Partners in organizing the Fair were DESA – Dubrovnik, University of Dubrovnik, the Croatian Chamber of Economy – County Chamber of Dubrovnik, the Chamber of Crafts of Dubrovnik – Neretva County, Regional Development Agency “Dunea” Dubrovnik, Dubrovnik Centre for Entrepreneurship and High school for catering and tourism Dubrovnik.
- Within the implementation of the projects „Educational center for women and youth“ and „The life long education for more quality life“, from March 2nd DESA organized courses and workshops for youth and unemployed persons in Dubrovnik-neretva county. These projects have been implemented in co-operation with and financial support by the Ministry of science, education and sports, National Foundation for Civil society development and the City of Dubrovnik.
- DEŠA – Dubrovnik has actively participated in the seminar “Education for Tourism on the Country Farms and Rural Tourism”, which was held in Gruda, from 26th – 28th of February. The seminar was organized by the Dubrovnik – Neretva County, Croatian farmers, the Club “Village” and the Ministry of Tourism of the Republic of Croatia.
- Within the project “Creation of Good Cooperation in the Adriatic Region by Sharing Experiences, Knowledge and Skills“ DESA-Dubrovnik organized a seminar on entrepreneurship in Shkodër on 26th and 27th of February 2009. The workshops were attended by 20 entrepreneurs from Shkodër and surrounding areas who are mainly engaged in manufacturing and production of traditional items and souvenirs. The main objective of the seminar was to show examples of good business ideas of Dubrovnik-Neretva County, and ways of organizing and marketing.
- Within the project “Centre for Responsible Tourism of Adriatic Region”, DEŠA – Dubrovnik organized training for small and medium-sized entrepreneurs. First part of the training was held in Dubrovnik from 17th to 20th November 2008. After selecting the best participants, we organized the study tour to Italy from the 16th – 20th February 2009. A study tour was organized in two groups: one group travelled to Umbria region and the other in the region of Tuscany. The group of 5 entrepreneurs who travelled in Umbria, accompanied by Mrs. Nives Milos, stayed in the hostel of the cooperative “La tana Libera Tutti” in Cannara. On the first day, participants met with representatives of the cooperative, where they were presented with the program and activities of the cooperative. On the second day they visited the country farm, “Di Filippo,” which is involved in production of wine and biological products, and they also met the president of the association of wine route “Cantico”. The following day they visited agroturism “La Malvarina”, city Assisi and weaving mill of Mrs. Luciana Pasqualoni Franchi. On the fourth day they visited the country farm “Le Due Torri” with the production of cereals, oil and biological meat, and the afternoon was spent preparing the typical dishes based on onion. On the last day they visited the Museum of Wine and the Museum of Olives and Olive Oil. After that, they were visited the largest consortium of cooperatives in Umbria “Consorzio ABN” from Perugia.
- The other group of 5 entrepreneurs, accompanied by Mrs Katica Tepavac, the interpreter and Mrs Ana Grgić, stayed in Londo, Tuscany, in the cooperative “Ecotondo” which is engaged in social tourism. The first day, before coming to Londo, they visited the agrotourism “Monticino,” engaged in production of wine, oil, jam, vegetable, etc. On the second day they saw the towns Pontassieve and Pelago, and agritourism “Ceretto Libri” where they were introduced to the procedure of production of wine. After returning to Ecotondo, they participated in making the pizza in the baker’s oven. On the third day they visited cooperative Archimede and production of soaps and medicinal teas in Mugellu, agrotourism “Agricola Frascole” with the production of wine and oil, country farm “Il Muretto” and agricultural cooperative” Il Forteto” with cheese –monger’s shop, which is also engaged in breeding cows and horses. On the fourth day they visited the city of Florence, accompanied by a guide and a partner on this project, Mr. Mirko Gigliotti. On the last day, on their way to the town of Faenza, they visited agrotourism “Baciotti” with the production of sheep cheese. This study tour was very educational and interesting for all participants, who exchanged contacts and experiences. On their way back from Ancona, the groups were exchanging opinions and experiences about everything they have seen and experienced in last five days.
- DEŠA took part at the meeting organized by Croatian Chamber of Trade and Crafts, Dubrovnik, Employment Bureau Dubrovnik and Croatian Chamber of Commerce Dubrovnik. Meeting was held on February 10th and its purpose was to present joint project „Promotion of crafts scarce in Dubrovnik-neretva county“. DESA’s representative presented the project „Scholarships for the pupils from craft schools“ that DESA has been implementing for 7 years in co-operation with Libertas Foundation from San Pedro.
- Within the implementation of the project “Centre for Responsible Tourism of the Adriatic Region”, DEŠA-Dubrovnik organized English language courses in Ston and on the Island of Mljet offering additional education for women, youth and senior citizens. The courses were organized on the basis of the need that the inhabitants of Ston and the island of Mljet expressed through the round tables held at the same locations.
- As part of the project “Centre for Responsible Tourism of the Adriatic Region”, which is implemented in cooperation with the Ministry of Tourism of the Republic of Croatia, the association Cospe from Florence, Marche region and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Italy, DEŠA-Dubrovnik is organizing training for the agents of local development. The training will include topics related to sustainable development, responsible tourism, community, LEADER approach, the EU pre-accession funds, writing projects and resources of our County. The second part of the training will take place in Italy, where some of the training participants will have an opportunity to see examples of good practices of sustainable development and responsible tourism in Italian regions.
- Within the implementation of the project “Centre for Responsible Tourism of the Adriatic region”, DEŠA-Dubrovnik has organized training for small and medium-sized entrepreneurs. First part of the training was held in Dubrovnik from 17th till 20th November 2008, and involved lectures about entrepreneurship, legal and organizational models of small and medium entrepreneurship, business plan, accounting, sustainable development and responsible tourism. Selected participants will visit Italian regions Umbria and Toscana from 15th till 20th of February 2009, where they will have a chance to see examples of good practices of entrepreneurs and local institutions working on the principles of sustainable development.
- Within the project “Creation of good cooperation in the Adriatic region by sharing experiences, knowledge and skills“, financed by the National Foundation for civil society development, within the program Development through cooperation (International development assistance to the Republic of Croatia), Mrs. Jany Hansal, the president of DEŠA and Mrs. Nives Miloš, the vice president of DEŠA, visited “Women’s centre” in Shkoder, Albania, and an association “Anima” in Kotor, Montenegro, from 21st – 23rd of January. These visits were arranged in order to agree on guidelines for establishment of the cooperation among DEŠA-Dubrovnik and the above mentioned NGOs.