After four years of painstaking and dedicated work, DEŠA’s achievement received wider recognition. The Mayor’s office provided a new operating base for DEŠA’s team. The new location enabled DEŠA to enlarge its activities and to plan its development towards the year 2000.
- DEŠA organized sewing courses for over 50 participants.
- DEŠA organized Christmas exhibitions of handicrafts at the new working premise.
- DEŠA participated in the First forum of Croatian non-profit organizations organized by CERANEO (Center for development of non-profit organizations) in Zagreb.
- DEŠA finally moved in to the new working bases in the Lazarets, new address F. Supila 8.
- DEŠA took part in the seminar of the Croatian Humanitarian Network on topic “New law regarding NGO’s”, in Karlobag.
- DEŠA organized course in local embroideries sponsored by the Ministry of Reconstruction and Development – Zagreb.
- DEŠA organized exhibition “Restoration of national costumes of the Island of Mljet” in cooperation with People’s University of Dubrava – City of Zagreb.
- DEŠA organized exhibition/workshop on “Restoration of folk costumes of the Island of Mljet” and its application to textile handicrafts in cooperation with People’s University of Dubrava – City of Zagreb on International Folklore Festival Zagreb 1997.
- DEŠA participated in making of documentary film on silk worm breeding and silk production titled: “When a mulberry leaf is as big as the ear of a mouse” produced by the Croatian Television.
- DEŠA participated in the Second Convention of the Croatian Humanitarian Network in Zagreb.
- DEŠA took part in the Round Table debate on “Role and Status of Woman in Society” in Osijek, organized by the Embassy of Local Democracy from Osijek, the women’s magazine “Zaposlena” (Business Woman) and European organization Aid to NGO’s (CEAVA).
- DEŠA took part in the Round table debate on “Development of Non – Profit Organizations Involved in the Life – Earning Activities” in Zagreb, organized by CERANEO Zagreb (Center for Development of the non – profit organizations).
- DEŠA participated in the Conference on the women human rights in Geneva.
- DEŠA attended the International women’s film festival in Paris, and took part in the Round table debate on Women, war victims.
- DEŠA assisted in planting the remaining Kokuso mulberry trees in Konavle.
- In cooperation with the Dubrovnik Ethnographic museum DEŠA organized a workshop on Easter decorations (Easter eggs, woven palm leaves decorations). In the Easter period DEŠA organized the exhibition of Easter eggs and palm leaves decorations and of typical embroidery from the island of Mljet.
- New courses:
- sewing course for 40 participants
- first Italian language course